Thursday, November 28, 2013

A servant leader... are you?

John 13:4-5, 12-15 NKJV

rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?  You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

******
Shalom! Day #332. Do you know that leadership begins with a humble heart? Let's pray. Father, give us a Christ like servant heart, attitude and character. As we grow deeper in You, help us to imitate Christ. To know Christ, be Christ and share Christ to the group of people that we are leading today. In Jesus name we ask and pray, amen!

Leadership begins with a humble heart. In this verse we read that how Christ demonstrates the quality and the characteristics of a servant leader. Every action Jesus did, has an explanation. He removed His garment - came down from the level He was. He took a towel and girded Himself - like a slave He was. And begin to wash the feet of His disciples - meaning to say as I have cared for you, you must also care for others like I do. A servant leader MUST potray the Christ like attitude, character and has a servant heart. Be it a senior pastor, or pastor, church leaders,  cell leaders - you lead by example. A leader inspires the followers,  NOT DESTROYS THEIR HOPE AND TRUST. A servant leader does not lead with what pleases his head, but what pleases God. A servant leader does not lead with an arrogant attitude and even at the point of showing his or her anger towards the followers. A servant leader must have the capability to identify the calling and the potential in the lives of his or her followers. Allow me to tell you something as a fellow servant. As a servant leader,  when you inspire fear into the lives of your followers, destroy their hopes, lead in arrogance and anger, you are just a step away from being stripped of your title and ministry.

Jesus is the greatest example I can point out here. I may not be the excellent servant leader, but as I share this, the Holy Spirit is teaching me as well. One of many other attitude and character that Christ has is, even He was under pressure and distress,  knowing that He is going to be betrayed by one of His followers, yet He continued to express love, mercy and kindness towards His followers. He did not in anyway demonstrate His anger and arrogance towards His followers.

Now we are going to study and implement a few point from the verse we read just now. Jesus said,"Do you know what I have done to you?  You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."

1. Leadership begins with a humble heart.
⊙ Jesus, though He was God in human form, yet He lowered Himself to the level of a slave and He ministered to His followers.

> today when we stand at the pulpit and preach, it isn't about how great we preach, it isn't about you, but it's about ministering into the hearts of the believers and followers of Christ. Many at times, preachers preach of how good they are and draw a line of comparison between them and the followers. Apostle Paul said, "imitate me, as I imitate Christ." Paul did not draw a line of differences. Even at the pulpit, always remember that you are a servant leader, then comes your title or pisition. A servant leader serves the house, meet their needs, build their hopes, lead by example and inspires them to be the best of the best.

2. A servant leadership holds and exercise authority.
⊙ now this doesn't meant that you can bully your followers. Jesus said, "You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

> your followers must be able to recognize the authority you have not because of your title and position but because the way you serve them, the way you care for them. Respect and honor doesn't come through the titles or position or even through the piled up pHds you have. It comes by how you serve and minister.

3. A servant leader serves and leads by example.
⊙ Jesus said, "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."

> as I mentioned earlier, a servant leader serves and leads by example. Jesus portrayed an excellent example to His disciples. The examples you set, your followers or your disciples must be able to follow and do. Which means to imitate what you do and to do it greater than you. What kind of example have you beens towards your disciples and followers?

Are we portraying Christ like servanthood today? Rethink your leadership characteristics. Serve as Christ would, and not as pleases your head.

Let this day be the day of the Lord!

*** if you have any prayer request or any comments, or in anyway that I can serve today, please do let me know, I am at the Lord's service.

Please leave a comment. It would be a blessing for me to hear from you.

No comments: